‘r/evolution begins within’
YEMOYA international artist residency combines arts training with wellness practices for the holistic development of africa and her diaspora. founded in january 2011 by d’bi.young, YEMOYA is the evolution of its canadian predecessor, anitafrika dub theatre.
month-long intensive artist-residencies focus on the creative, physical, mental, emotional and spiritual growth of its resident artists. using self-knowledge, orality, rhythm, political content and context, language, urgency, sacredness and integrity - eight principles in d’bi.young’s biomyth sorplusi methodology - YEMOYA promotes social change through personal change. we firmly believes that r/evolution begins within.
YEMOYA aims to:
- provide resident artists with the tools to achieve optimal creative, physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual health
- use the biomyth sorplusi methodology to assist resident artists in achieving an artistic goal during the course of their residency; such as a monodrama, a novel, a painting, a portfolio, an exhibit, an installation or multi-media piece etc
- be the custodian of the ongoing archive of resident artistic works that emerge from the institute
- promote holistic (creative, physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual) health in different communities by facilitating collaborative arts-education projects nationally and internationally
- network with global programs that are similar in scope in order to foster artist/ic exchange within the wider pan afrikan community